Shared-Time Business Manager
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent for Business and Administrative Services
AVAILABLE: Full-time, position available immediately. Work schedule based on full year (52-week contract). Hours and schedule determined at time of employment.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Annual salary to be determined by qualifications and experience. Salary range $75,000 - $80,000. Position includes full family medical benefits and other benefits as outlined in the Non-Affiliated Handbook.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Shared-Time Business Manager works as an integral team member in the Business Office. This position is reponsible for accounting duties, including, but not limited to the coordination, management and supervision of payroll, finance and business services in the assigned local school district(s) in coordination with the Assistant Superintendent for Business and Administrative Services. The main assignment is currently with Ida Public Schools, with assistance given to Summerfield Schools. The Shared-Time Business Manager is also responsible for assigned accounting duties at the Monroe County Intermediate School District.
- Coordinate the day-to-day operation, management and supervision of payroll, finance, health insurance, FMLA and business service functions in the assigned local school district.
- Manage the payroll and finance activities of the local school district to ensure compliance with the guidelines of the Michigan Department of Education and the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System (MPSERS), local school district board policies and operating procedures.
- Work with the local school district superintendent, prepare financial reports and ensure that bills payable are accurate and submitted in accordance with local school district timelines and policies.
- Attend local school district board of education meetings and participate in leadership meetings.
- Prepare for the local school district audit and complete FID reporting. Ensure that the district audit is complete and presented to the board of education in accordance with board policy and Michigan Department of Education guidelines.
- Complete all local, state and federal financial reports, including submissions required to the Cash Management System (CMS) and MEGS+ (Michigan Electronic Grant System).
- Ensure that local school district grant funds are spent in accordance with grant guidelines and requirements.
- Follow business office procedures and processes for maintaining accurate records on cash flow analysis, investments, bank transfers, etc.
- Implement accounting practices that are in compliance with standard accounting procedures, the Michigan Department of Education requirements and the Government Accounting Standard Board (GASB).
- Serve as an active member with the Monroe County School Business Officials and the Monroe/Lenawee School Business Officials and Michigan School Business Officials.
- Represent the local school district at local and state professional business organizations.
- Coordinate training for the assigned local school district personnel for the financial software package.
- Ensure compliance for electronic reporting to the Michigan Department of Education and the Center for Educational Performance and Information (CEPI), such as the Financial Information Database (FID), School Infrastructure Database (SID), Michigan Student Data System (MSDS), Educational Entity Master (EEM) and the Registry of Educational Personnel (REP).
- Review completion of financial reports for the Medicaid Administrative Outreach Claims.
- Apply for and capture Universal Service Fund (USF) dollars.
- Develop budget and ongoing budget adjustments for all funds based on actual revenue received and expenses incurred to ensure an accurate end of the school year forecast.
- Prepare data for the budget development, salary/insurance cost projections, and contract negotiations.
- Coordinate the accounting and tracking of fixed assets for the local school district.
- Prepare cash flow estimates and necessary documents for assigned local district borrowing when needed.
- Renew property/casualty insurance for assigned local district.
- Prepare wage and salary schedules for assigned local district.
- Review and sign off of bank and cash reconciliations for assigned local district(s).
- Reconcile property tax levy and payments.
- Make bank transfers and investments.
- Direct building secretaries in the process of pupil count. Complete and file necessary reports for pupil count.
- Receive, file and dispute unemployment benefit statements.
- Responsible for MEGS+ certifications.
- Review completion of the SE 4094 (transportation report) and SE 4096 (Sp Ed Actual Cost report).
- Prepare and submit financial reports for the appropriate district programs.
- Complete all insurance applications for the district and verify all insurance policies are in place. Assemble all insurance bids and provide claims data to insurance companies. Work as liaison between the employee and insurance company for insurance issues.
- Responsible for monitoring health insurance caps.
- Responsible for ACA compliance.
- Regular predictable attendance.
- Adhere to work rules.
- Adhere to MCISD guidelines and policies.
- All other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES MISD
- Responsible for calculating invoices for local district billings.
- Review monthly bank reconciliations and journal entries.
- Assist in coordination of county-wide shared services.
- Assist in coordination and preparation of county-wide bid documents.
- Assist with preparing the annual budget and budget amendments.
- Assist in prepration of annual audit.
- Serve as backup for various accounting duties.
- Serve as an active member with Monroe County School Business Officials and the Monroe/Lenawee School Business Officials and Michigan School Business Officials.
- Represent the ISD at local and state professional business organizations.
- Serve as a resource for the financial software package and assist local districts with reporting package (COGNOS 10)
- Regular predictable attendance.
- Adhere to work rules.
- Adhere to MCISD guidelines and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting or business administration. Master's degree is preferred. CPA preferred.
- MSBO Certification required or ability to obtain within 3 years.
- Minimum three years successful experience in business office functions of a K-12 school district.
- Work experience as a K-12 public school business manager preferred.
- Experience with SunGard and IBM COGNOS 10 reporting, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare complex financial reports, work with auditors, solve complex problems and work in a variety of school business office situations required.
- Ability to review, understand and interpret school law, federal and state guidelines, audit reports and Michigan Department of Education reporting requirements.
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to make presentations to groups.
- Ability to represent the district in a professional manner.
- Ability to use district technology, and work to maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology and/or the needs of the district.
- Ability to work with people and utilize conflict resolution and problem solving skills.
- Possess organizational and management skills and capable of working with and motivating others.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions in accordance with board policies and established administrative guidelines.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general educational periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK: Upon hire, employees of the Monroe County Intermediate School District are fingerprinted for a Michigan and FBI criminal history check. The processing fee of $42.00 is the responsibility of the applicant.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands, and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities for perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Current Monroe County Intermediate School District employees who meet the qualifications must complete the online application at www.monroeisd.us to be considered. Click on "Employment" and "Applitrack" and follow instructions to apply for this position. You MUST update education and work experience. Supporting documents required (resume', 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Must complete online application at www.monroeisd.us. Click on "Employment" and "Applitrack" and follow instructions to apply for this position. Faxed or mailed applications will not be accepted. Supporting documents required (resume', transcripts, 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Elizabeth J. Taylor, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and Legal Counsel
Human Resources Department
Monroe County Intermediate School District
1101 S. Raisinville Road
Monroe MI 48161
Phone: (734) 242-5799 ext. 1200
The Monroe County Intermediate School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, religion, disability or hand